The energy price cap increase – does it affect you?

You’ve heard about the energy price cap increase – but does it affect you?

Your bills will only be affected by the price cap increase if you’re on a Standard Variable Tariff. If you’re on a Fixed Rate Tariff, your bills will stay the same until your contract ends.

A Citizens Advice commissioned survey found that more than one in seven households (16%) would not be able to cover the anticipated average price cap rise of £60 per month. This rises to over a quarter (27%) of disabled people.

Ian Young, Energy Team Leader for Citizens Advice Consumer Service, said: “We know this is a stressful and worrying time”. Many households were in ‘fuel poverty’ before the energy price rises of 2021. We anticipate the further increases in energy prices, could lead to an unprecedented increase in the number of households of all incomes in fuel poverty.

We have seen many households in recent months having the dilemma of paying for fuel or food. We can assist anyone with this issue to ensure you get the right information, advice and guidance. We aim to prevent debts rising for households and to reduce the stress this can cause.

Ruth’s Story

Mother-of-two Ruth* contacted her local Citizens Advice and said: “They just keep taking money from all angles”.

Ruth, 26, lives in a two-bed house with her two young children. She has found her bills rising uncontrollably over the last few months.

“I knew my energy bills were going to go up but didn’t realise it would go up this much. This week we’ve been living on rations, and I’ve thought about ringing the food bank but it’s half an hour away and I can’t afford a taxi or bus.”

“I’ve had to dip into my rent money just to buy some nappies and washing powder. We’ve been spending most of our time at my Nana’s just for some heating and electricity.”

How we helped Ruth

We advised Ruth to ring our Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133 to help her agree a payment plan with her supplier and find out whether she could apply to them for a grant to help pay off her energy debts.

We made also made an appointment for Ruth to speak with our advisers at her local Citizens Advice office. We will check that she is receiving her benefit entitlements, including all the elements in Universal Credit. This will help her to secure the future for herself and her children.

Do you – or someone you know – need help?

If you’re worried about your energy bills, we’re here to help. So, if you find yourself in a similar situation and don’t know what to do next – or even if you think you do and just need to check – why not contact us.

We provide free, impartial and confidential advice to everyone. You can find more information about what to do if you’re struggling to pay your energy bills by visiting our national website.

If you need help, or if you have family or friends who would benefit from some advice, please contact us today.

Citizens Advice Waverley contact details:

Tel 0808 278 7980 (freephone) to speak to an adviser

Leave online message

Search our national site by topic

Visit us

Mole Valley contact details:

Both Dorking and Leatherhead Citizens Advice offices are currently open for appointments, please either telephone our adviceline 0800 144 8848 or email /

Contact East Surrey Domestic Abuse Services on 01737 771350 or email:

Surrey Domestic Abuse 9am-9pm Helpline – 01483 776822

In an emergency always dial 999

Reigate and Banstead contact details:

Phone Adviceline: 0808 278 7945 (free) to speak to an adviser (Monday – Friday 9.00 – 16.00)

Email: Use an enquiry form

Self help (website)


*Name changed to preserve client confidentiality

Share this article