Struggling to pay your bills

Get help if you’re behind with your energy bills

Get temporary credit

If you’ve run out of gas or electricity, your energy supplier should give you temporary credit if you can’t top up, for example because:

  • you can’t afford it
  • you’re having problems topping up

Your supplier might add the temporary credit to your meter automatically – if they don’t, you should ask for it as soon as you can. You can check your supplier’s website to find out how to get temporary credit.

If you run out of temporary credit

Explain your situation to your supplier. They might give you extra temporary credit if they agree you’re ‘vulnerable’. You might be vulnerable if you’re disabled or have a long-term health condition. This includes hearing, sight and mental health conditions. You might also be vulnerable if you’re recovering from an injury.

Visit our national site for more about how we can help with energy issues.

Need help with a range of everyday issues such as benefits, housing, employment, family, debts, consumer, etc? Contact us for free advice.

Citizens Advice South West Surrey CONTACT DETAILS

Call Adviceline (free) to speak to an Adviser:

Waverley 0808 278 7980

Guildford and Ash 0808 278 7888

Leave online message

Office opening details

And for other topics, check-out our online advice about benefits, money and debt, housing, consumer issues, work problems, and relationships.

Share this article