Leaving home to go to University or finding somewhere new to rent?

Renting somewhere to live starts with finding somewhere that’s suitable and affordable, but it also helps to have a good understanding of your tenancy agreement so that you know what to expect and where to go for advice if something goes wrong.

There’s lots of useful info on renting on Citizens Advice website!

Know your rights and responsibilities and avoid the pitfalls:

  • If you’re renting from a private landlord, check your tenancy type
  • Check what rights you have and your landlord’s responsibilities
  • Using a guarantor – what does this entail and what does it mean for the guarantor?
  • Renting with other people – understand the difference between joint tenancies and individual tenancies
  • Student housing – in university accommodation or private rented accommodation
  • Repossession by your landlord’s mortgage lender – you might have a right to stay but, if not, what can you do?
  • Subletting and lodging- do you have the right to sublet?
  • Sham tenancies and unfair tenancy agreements (including discrimination)
  • Gas and electricity safety checks- your landlord has to make sure your home meets safety standards and give you copies of safety reports.

Check our national website for more information

And if you need advice, please get in touch:

Citizens Advice Waverley CONTACT DETAILS

Call Adviceline 0808 278 7980 (free) to speak to an adviser

By Email: use enquiry form

Search by topic at Self-help

Office opening details

Share this article