Driving licence changes

Do you drive or employ drivers?

If you do, you need to know about these driving licence changes which apply from 8 June 2015.

From 8 June the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licecnce will no longer be valid. This part of the licence displayed details of some vehicle categories you are entitled to drive and any endorsements/penalty points.

Paper licences issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998 will remain valid and SHOULD NOT BE DESTROYED, but, if you need to update your name, address or renew your licence you will be issued with a photocard instead of the old paper licence.

What happens to the information which was on the counterpart? From 8 June new endorsements will only be recorded electronically. They will be held on DVLA’s Driver Record and can be checked on line www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence, by phone or by post.

What will I need if I’m hiring a vehicle? Not all car hire companies will ask for the details which used to be on the paper counterpart so you might like to ask them what they will need. But if you are hiring a vehicle in the UK or another country which requires evidence of your driving record, you will be able to access your details free on line through the DVLA Share Driving Licence service. The service is available to both photocard and paper licence holders. You will be able to download a summary of your driving licence record which you can print or share. You can also request  a unique code. The code will last for 72 hours and will allow the hire company to make any necessary checks. You can also telephone 0300 083 0013 to ask for a code.


  • Your driving licence number
  • Your National Insurance Number (make sure you have this with you)
  • The Postcode on your driving licence

Driving for a living?

If you drive for a living or employ drivers this service is also available to you.

Don’t have internet access?

Most public libraries have computers which you can use, and often people who can help you to use them.



Share this article