Are you an EU National and need help to stay in the UK?

Are you an EU National? If you want to stay in the UK apply to the EU Settlement Scheme NOW – if you haven’t already done so.

You usually need to apply if you’re from a country in the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Or you could be from another country and you are the family member of someone who is from the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

If you have lived in the UK for 5 years or more, you can apply for settled status. If you have been here for up to 5 years, then you can apply for pre-settled status.

After 30 June 2021 you might be asked to prove your right to do things like get a job or use the NHS. Once you’ve got either settled or pre-settled status you will have a right to:

• stay in the UK
• work
• study
• use the NHS
• claim benefits – including the State Pension
• rent a home.

You might also be able to apply for British citizenship, but it’s a good idea to apply for pre-settled or settled status too – it’s faster and it’s free.

First, you will need to prove your identity using documents such as your passport or national identity card. If you give a National Insurance number, your records will be automatically checked during your application to work out how long you’ve lived in the UK.

REMEMBER: If your children were born in the UK but are not British citizens, you will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme to enable them to stay. Each child must have their own application.

Read on to find out how we helped *Irina stay in the UK ….

Irina is Latvian and has been in UK since 2014. She rang us for advice because she found herself in a bit of a pickle – she had gaps in her National Insurance record. She been variously employed, self-employed and had a period when she was unemployed but supported by her partner. Irina also went back to Riga for 4 months in 2018 to support her mother who was recovering from an operation.

Irina now wanted to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to stay in the UK, but she didn’t know how to provide sufficient proof that she had lived here for more than 5 years to qualify for settled status.

Our advisers explained to Irina that she needed to prove that she had lived in the UK for 5 years in a row and for 6 months out of every 12 months during those 5 years. We guided her through ways to show evidence about her time in the UK, for example through payslips, letters from her employer, council tax bills and utility bills.

Do you – or someone you know – want help?

So, if you find yourself in a similar situation and don’t know what to do next – or even if you think you do! – why not contact us (details below) Citizens Advice is here for you! Or find online information at: Staying in the UK if you’re from the EU | Citizens Advice.

*Name has been changed for reasons of confidentiality.

Citizens Advice Waverley CONTACT DETAILS
By Phone 0808 278 7980 (free) to speak to an adviser
By Email: use enquiry form
Office opening details
South West Surrey Domestic Abuse Outreach Service 01483 898884

Share this article